About Dr. Ginevra Liptan
Ginevra Liptan, M.D. is a graduate of Tufts University School of Medicine, board-certified in internal medicine, and trained in functional medicine, a holistic approach that blends both western and alternative medicine. After developing fibromyalgia as a medical student, Dr. Liptan spent many years using herself as guinea pig to find successful treatments, and has fine-tuned her approach by treating thousands of patients.
She is one of the few clinical specialists in the world to focus solely on fibromyalgia, and directs The Frida Center for Fibromyalgia in Portland, Oregon. She also serves as medical advisor to the Fibromyalgia Information Foundation and is on the board for the non-profit Mastering Pain Institute.
She is the author of The FibroManual: A Complete Fibromyalgia Treatment Guide for You and Your Doctor, The Fibro Food Formula: A Real-Life Approach to Fibromyalgia Relief, and Figuring out Fibromyalgia: Current Science and the Most Effective Treatments.
2011-18 THE FRIDA CENTER FOR FIBROMYALGIA
Founder and Medical Director
Private practice providing team-based integrative treatment for fibromyalgia
2009-11 OHSU DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINE
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Division of Arthritis and Rheumatic Diseases
Internal medicine clinician in multidisciplinary fibromyalgia clinic
2009-11 LEGACY PAIN MANAGEMENT CENTER
Internal medicine provider in a multidisciplinary pain clinic with psychology,
physical therapy, anesthesiology and social work
2005-09 LEGACY HEALTH SYSTEM
Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, Graduated January 2009
ABIM Board Certification August 2009
1999-2004 TUFTS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
M.D awarded May 2004
1997-98 BRYN MAWR COLLEGE
Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program
1993-97 UNIVERSITY OF DENVER
B.A. in Russian with a minor in chemistry, magna cum laude
Recipient of OHSU Gerlinger Foundation Research Award to support study “Efficacy of myofascial release therapy in reducing symptoms of fibromyalgia.”
Presentations & Lectures
- Managing fibromyalgia as a primary care provider. Lecture at School of Physician Assistant Studies Pacific University-College of Health Professions. January 2013, February 2014, Jan 2015, Jan 2016
- Cannabis for Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia Information Foundation Town Hall at OHSU July 2015
- Prescribing Opiates for Fibromyalgia Oregon Health and Science University School of Nursing FNP program, April 2013, April 2015
- The Myofascial Web and Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia Information Foundation Annual Conference, April 2014
- Coaching Your Patients to Better Health: A State-of-the-Art Fibromyalgia Intervention Series of live webcasts with MedEdRules LLC. December 2012
- Evidence-Based Treatment of Fibromyalgia Lecture at the Oregon Society of Physican’s Assistants Fall CME conference. November 2012
- Myofascial Release Therapy Compared to Massage in Reducing Symptoms of Fibromyalgia Platform Presentation at Third International Fascia Research Congress. March 2012
- Fibromyalgia: A Multi-disciplinary Approach Annual Clinical Meeting of the Pain Society of Oregon and the Western Pain Society, September 2011
- How Exercise Can Relieve the Discomfort of Fibromyalgia LA Times Live Web Chat, May 2011
- A Comprehensive Approach to the Diagnosis and Treatment of Fibromyalgia in the Primary Care Setting CME sponsored by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, February 2011
- Perspectives in Fibromyalgia: Expert Panel Roundtable CME video for physician education sponsored by Jazz Pharmaceuticals, November 2010
- Is Fascia the Source of Pain in Fibromyalgia? Eighth International Meeting of the Myopain Society in Spain, October 2010
Liptan, GL, Mist, S, Wright, C, Arzt A, Jones KD. A pilot study of myofascial release therapy compared to Swedish massage in Fibromyalgia. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies doi: 10.1016/j.jbmt.2012.11.010. Epub 2013 Jan 3.
Jones KD, Kindler LL, Liptan GL. Self-Management in Fibromyalgia. Journal of Clinical Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Medicine, July 2012, 3(1). 59-68.
Liptan, GL. Fascia: A missing link in our understanding of the pathology of fibromyalgia. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies 2010 Jan;14(1):3-12
Jones KD, Liptan GL. Exercise interventions in fibromyalgia: Clinical applications from the evidence. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America 2009 35(2):373-91